Monday, March 23, 2009

Ancestry

I was approached in Church to see if I could start helping out with Family History, so I joined Family Search, a Church website, and we have become addicted! It is so amazing to see how far back our ancestry goes, and where it originates, and actual names of people, instead of just a vauge idea, and also to see if their temple work has been done. My family, the Riries, originated from Scotland, mainly Aberdeen area, while Steve's family, the Rogers, originated from Wales. To keep it simple, for right now, we mostly followed the patriarchal line, following our last names. we then googled names of family members, and we found some pretty neat stuff. Here's a picture of Steve's direct grandfather, Rev. John Rogers, who was born in Wales and immigrated to Massachusettes sometime before 1691:
We think he looks a lot like Steve's grandpa.
Also, something of interest to my Arizona friends, Steve's grandpa was William Jordan Flake, the man who founded Snowflake, AZ with Erastus Snow. Small world, huh?
This is a picture of my grandpa, James Ririe, who immigrated from Aberdeen, Scotland to Utah in 1853, after joining the Church in Scotland and serving as a missionary there:

Anyway, hopefully this doesn't bore anyone, but we thought it was so interesting!

6 comments:

The Helvig Familiy said...

Good for you! I really need to get going on my family history!

Amber said...

Ummm, is it wrong that all I could think while reading this is that I wish you spoke with a Scottish accent? I love those. In my dreams I married a scottish Zach. So hot. So So SO HOT.

choohooo said...

Good for you! I wish I could get into it and excited about it. I am just lucky that my grandma has done it all for me!

stephasauri said...

I really got into family history before having kids. I need to make time for it now. It really is so fun. Good work!

The Helvig Familiy said...

I know this comment has nothing to do with this post, but I LOVE how just about every picture I've see of Audrey, she looks like she is in the middle squeal! So cute!

Sam said...

Thats pretty crazy I think I might be related to Steve on my Mom's Dad's side - same John Rogers I believe. By the way you have the cutest kids. Twins rock!

-Sam Kelly